Monday, October 18, 2010

Throw Higher

I had an awakening the other day when Joseph and I took Eldon to the park. After pushing him on the swing and down the slide, we set him on the grass so we could play catch. For some unfathomable reason, I really like playing catch. I'm not very good at it, and I don't like playing baseball as much as I like playing catch, but I do enjoy just throwing a ball back and forth. Anyway...

We were tossing the ball a rather short distance, one I could usually get the ball to Joseph over. Then he moved back a bit. Really, not much farther, but I couldn't quite seem to get the ball to him. I tried, but it was still bouncing before he would catch it. And then he said, "Throw higher." It was such a simple piece of advice, but one that had never once occurred to me.

I was trying to throw harder, but it didn't work for me. Once I started aiming higher, I could throw the ball farther.

How often is life like that? That I'm trying to do something and failing--not because I'm not trying hard enough, but because I'm not aiming high enough?

3 comments:

  1. Melody! I'm so glad to find you again! Your family is beautiful, and I love to hear your voice through your writing. I can't wait to "see" more of you! Love, Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. melody i just love you. this is a cute awakening. while reading your story, i kept waiting for it...for you to say that Eldon got hit with the ball. I'm glad that part never came:) And I'm glad you are learning how to aim higher:) what is your fist goal you will aim higher on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, you push me to be better! This post was just a musing on an awakening. . . but I hadn't really applied it. So, because you made me think about it, I have decided to WRITE DOWN (or type--pretty much the same thing, right?) a goal that I've been wanting to do but haven't really started on; I will read along during family scripture study instead of just listening.

    ReplyDelete